Friday, March 14, 2008

 

goonie goes coen

Most of the films I've been waiting to see are coming out on DVD now. We're catching up on the newborn baby haze period in which we would have gone to the movies, but alas, did not make the effort - rather, we did not have the ability of making such a plan. One actor who stands out as the 'it' guy of fantastic films of 2007 is Josh Brolin.

In the Coen brothers film and Best Picture win, No Country for Old Men, he shone as Llewellyn Moss, the tough and endearing veteran who happens upon a case full of money with the smarts and energy to keep it against the forces that seek it (or does he?). He's essentially the protagonist who is competing with scene-stealers like Javier Bardem and Tommy Lee Jones, most effectively. By the way, No Country for Old Men is a brilliant film. It is a signature Coen film and it is rather surprising that it was an adaptation of a Cormac McCarthy novel rather than their own script. Nevertheless, this flick is not for the folks who can't take killin' and quirky and strange and real hick. A and I saw it over a week ago and it's burned on my brain - content, pictures and characters. A big swirl of Texas crazy beautiful. Profound, actually.

In the Ridley Scott film, American Gangster, JB played Detective Trupo, the slimeball cop who is so slick, so creepy, so scary and convincing it makes you wonder what kind of person he is. He proves to be forceful against, again, very compelling characters played by Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington. As a film about mafia, it's right up there with the classics. That said, it's violent, disturbing, and harsh. Crowe was redeemed for me in this role and Washington is always great. I might add that JB gives Washington a push in the sense that JB is BAD, so Washington is REALLY BAD. Without the contrast of Trupo's character, Washington may have been too despicable to watch.

Finally, Brolin starred in In the Valley of Elah, which I recently praised. JB is strong in his scenes although a small role compared to the other two. His on-screen chemistry with Charlize Theron is tangible.

One more thing, Brolin is married to one of the sexiest ladies in Hollywood, Diane Lane. Seriously, this guy is hot!

Who would have thought that this guy would go from his first film as a 'goonie' to leading in a Coen film?


Comments:
You have totally put my mind at ease! I saw No Country for Old Men last week and I had the hardest time placing him. I have wracked my brain wondering where I knew him from. Yep..The Goonies!! I do agree with you E, he is definitely leveraging himself and did a great job in all his '07 projects.

Jaime
 
I'm totally out of the loop with movies but am so glad you're enjoying them more again!
 
J,

Brolin seems to fly under the radar somehow. Even though, when I IMDB'ed him, I was amazed how many movies over the years that I had seen with him in them.

IMDB is THE fix for needing to know who was in what when. I use it regularly to quell those "Who is that guy?" moments.
-----
Tan,

Thanks, I'm feeling more like me with each viewing! :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?