Friday, March 07, 2008

 

haggis


Ever since Million Dollar Baby, people have been talking about Paul Haggis (not the stuffed pig intestines). People loved that movie. Hilary Swank won her second Best Actress Oscar for her performance as Maggie, who I must admit I cared for very much. Clint Eastwood was nominated for Best Actor and Best Director, and Best Picture of which he won two for three. Morgan Freeman won (finally) for Best Supporting Actor. Haggis was nominated for Best Writing. I found the film forgettable and schlocky and contrived. Entertaining, sure. Yet I kept running the scene - where the stool is put in the ring - over and over again, thinking "Seriously?". The film left me frustrated, annoyed and scoffing.


Shortly after MDB, Haggis was given his own film vehicle in Crash. I very much liked the idea of this film, synopsized wonderfully in a Don Cheadle monologue, which he says that people are so needy to feel something that they actually crash into something or one another. Okay, that's a film I want to see, and love. For me, Crash, although wonderfully acted and beautifully photographed, resulted in a write-off. The multi-protagonist plot was, again, contrived and undone. I felt like two hours+ was wasted on an idea rather than a story. After winning Best Picture, I felt compelled to watch it again and the second time around, I admit I enjoyed it more. Nevertheless, not a film I get excited about.


Of course, who am I to judge? Hollywood and fans of Haggis reigned supreme over not only the box office, but also the Academy Awards. There must be something that I was missing.


In the Valley Elah showed up at the Oscars this year with one nomination for Best Actor nominee, the brilliant Tommy Lee Jones. Because Tommy Lee Jones is always great, I thought I should see that. A reminded me that Haggis put this film together. Hmmm... But it's also got Susan Sarandon and Charlize Theron. Well, I'll give Haggis another go.


Thank goodness I did! Although the fans didn't show up to lavish love upon Haggis, this film was fantastic. If you can imagine it, no one wanted to watch a movie about Iraq. And, no one wanted to watch a great movie about Iraq that actually explores and confirms our greatest fears of the impact of this war on our families, our children, or our moral centre. And, no one wanted to watch a movie that would cause grief and sorrow and deep, deep breaths.


I talked to this movie. I don't often do that. I sighed with Jones. I felt nervous for Theron. I ached for Sarandon. Haggis wove a beautiful film together and finally, wrapped up each and every idea, character, and emotion so neatly. I felt proud of him. I like him. I now will partake of more Haggis, with confidence that he'll deliver the goods.

Comments:
I watched this movie last night and I was shocked to see it wasn't nominated for Best Picture. What a shame. This movie was fantastic and I think probably my favourite of 2007 from what I have seen. Unlike you E, I did enjoy Crash. However, this movie I found far more compelling.

Jaime
 
J,

I hear you on the Best Picture comment. I think this film is stunning. I agree that it stands out as a great film for 2007. I must admit that there are few other films of 2007 that I remember.

I should clarify that I like "Crash" although I don't love it. I think the second viewing helped me get why everyone loved it. Maybe my expectations were too high.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?