Saturday, November 21, 2009

 
A bought me Marjane Satrapi's graphic novel, Persepolis, for my birthday a few months ago. I just completed the book. This book is insightful, funny, odd-ball, coming-of-age, idealistic and profound. Satrapi's biography is unusual because it takes place in Iran and it is unapologetic about the circumstances in which she is born since she is of the mind that it is absolutely normal. Reading it gave me pause since there are many moments in which I couldn't believe the circumstances in which she was being raised, while recognizing that she would think the exact same thought of my upbringing. The most refreshing component of the novel was it's authenticity. I'm not entirely sure how Satrapi does it, but her raw view of the world as she was raised is sincere while fractured. Death is normal, testing authority is required, survival is essential while risk is equally thrown into the mix. All this in a comic. She is also incredibly self-deprecating and downright funny.

Bottom line, stay true and damn the veil.


Comments:
Man, A always nails it with the gifts. I've been meaning to get this (and the follow-up) from the library, and just put it on hold...thanks for the nudge.

Thanks also for the wonderful package of Imogene's original artworks this week. The kids have been madly collecting and creating a return package...at least I've been seeing "To: Imogene" on new pictures lately.
 
Yes, it's a win - as is the film based on it. I only watched a portion of the film since we were new Birdie parents at the time. I think Tan would also enjoy it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?