Saturday, December 13, 2008

 

opa

My Opa is dying. Like the rest of us, just sooner.

Not very far beneath the surface, he's a true cowboy. He didn't want to leave his home country of Paraguay but, he fell in love with Oma and... well since she was immigrating to Canada with her parents and siblings, Vancouver-bound he a-went. Opa loves to tell stories about his early years in the Colony living off the land, playing in the peanut fields, breaking horses, pranking his friends (and foes), hunting (out of necessity to survive) rogue jaguars and drinking ta-da-daah in the early evening shade. And, he's a stellar story-teller, his legs wagging back and forth with excitement, his convincing tone of dark moments, his quiet giggling-wheezy laugh when someone is about to get it, and the loud clap of his hands when the peak of the story is upon his audience.

Sheesh, I really don't know how to think of my life without this man.

He's fought a handful of cancers and asthma, openly overcome alcoholism, and proven to be the one unflinching source of unconditional love to me. Opa loves me a lot. He loves Birdie a lot. He loves A a lot. He loves each one of his own... a lot. Opa's best quality is his ability to make every single person around him feel as though he/she is the most special person in his world.

How will I refer to 'Oma' now since oma-n-opa is pronounced as one word?

I've let him go in my heart but my future feels incredibly tenuous.

For now I'll keep eating Smarties, laugh-cry at Sylvester & Tweety or Roadrunner & Coyote cartoons, look lovingly at a really big bbq steak (seriously, who knew a steak could be sentimental - particularly for this veggie-head), drive by the DQ on near Earles Street and this time, after driving around the block two times (another long story), I'll stop in and order a vanilla dip cone.

Comments:
Oh Esther, so sorry to hear this. He's always sounded like such a legendary character. Beautiful tribute -- I hope you all get to enjoy each other for a while longer yet.
 
Crying......sobbing.....missing him already. Thanks for sharing those memories, so very special. Love you.
 
what beautiful words from deep in your heart.
Your life will always be richer because of him.
 
E -

Your words are wonderful and has allowed me a small but meaningful insight into your profound relationship with your Opa. Thinking of you and your family during this time. I'm glad you are able to share the remaining moments in such a positive, reflective way.

J
 
I think it's so beautiful that you got to know him as an adult and friend. It's precious. Thinking of you and your family.
 
Thank you for you wonderful tribute to my dad... Yes... he is and will always be a man who I am privileged to call "my dad, my hero".
The memories you described... I can still see each one as you described it... just don't forget the hubba bubba. There was always a private stash somewhere for you grandchildren. I will miss his sense of humor, his unconditional love, his way of telling his stories... so full of color!
Thank you...
Love you...
 
Hey all,
Thanks for the love and thoughts during this challenging time. Opa continues to fight - I guess it's instinctual... he's shot wild boars and broken horses... he's not quite sure what it means to let go.

I'm consistently surprised and encouraged by his spirit - as A said, "he is indomitable".
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?