Saturday, September 27, 2008

 

what i know and why not?

Birdie is in an extraordinary growth spurt - jumping up and down on chairs, climbing every uneven level in sight, eating a vast array of foods and comprehending verbal directions (although not necessarily adhering to it, understanding nevertheless). It's marvelous to engage her unending curiousity, particularly during this period of time. For Birdie, in correlation to growth comes frustration and an increased determination. She exerts a lot of energy and desire to do or acquire things but simply cannot have them. For example, while pointing "I want this" she indicates that she wants a kitchen knife or a boiling hot pot. Her brain is injecting so much data that any restraint directly results in a total rejection and disappointment and I think... confusion. During these points in the day, Birdie can muster a good deal of drama including full-body convuslions of extreme displeasure. Wow.

I've been trying to figure out when learning and development and the correlating disappointments of missed opporunities comes to an end. Really, it's not anytime before the adolescent years. As I remember my teens, my opinions were strictly one way or the other - the issue was black or white - no shades of grey. I was passionately engaged or outraged at the concept presented to me that I either 'wasn't ready yet' (like Birdie with the kitchen knife) to digest the concept or too limited in my experiences to thoughtfully consider it wholly.

As an adult, I continue to have extreme swings between successful engagement and rejection. Even now, I can get so frustrated about limitations or another's judgemental position that I exert a good deal of teeth-grinding, fist-raising angst.

Birdie is primal in her displays of emotion - happy, sad, whatever variation it may be. I have manners which are learned - really that's all that distinguishes us. I can speak English while Birdie can express every language. I can communicate logic, Birdie just is what the moment brings.

So, do we really change in these emotional ups and downs as we age and grow?

Comments:
Esther, I particularly enjoyed your thoughts on this point and agree that even with some degree of maturity, we tend to behave in those same ways, although i hope somewhat more subltly than a child!
I love the way you analyze things!
I was much too immature as a young mom to think that deeply! teehee.
mom
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?