Monday, May 26, 2008

 

we're going to the lake

My back to work countdown is now down from 10+ months to one hand... yep, 3 full days left. Whoa, that is REAL. That means Monday morning, bright and early with hair brushed and styled, teeth brushed, and wearing clothes that aren't pajamas or covered in avocado or milk. Am I capable of accomplishing this feat?

Actually, I'm feeling enthusiastic and confident about entering this next stage in my life. I will miss Birdie tons since she's all I've been up to since August 8th last year. I'm nervous about starting my new job in my new position, but it's a nervous excitement. On Monday morning.

While hanging at my parents early last week, my Opa B. called to check in. He does this regularly to each and every kid and grandkid - which is a lot of calls. I love these calls; every one of us does. Opa is a cowboy at heart who incidentally knows how to love people deeply. I cherish him, particularly since he licked cancer for the third time this last year. It was a doozy too, and yet he's here. I guess taming a few horses in the old days taught him how to lick something wild. When he's not 'trapped' in the Valley, he and Oma travel home to Paraguay in the Winter and to the Lake in the Summer where they live in their cabin. Anyway, I could go on and on about Opa and Oma but the point is that while he was on the line, my sis and I spontaneously agreed to go up to the Lake to see them. This is with the girls, my two neices (who are 3 1/2 years old + nearly a year) and Birdie.

We totally just made the 'inspired' decision to go and a few days later, we met, loaded up in the her van and trooped up to the Lake together. It's a five hour drive.

For me, this decision was loaded with the desire to make the most of my time remaining before work. Chunks of time off to do stuff will soon be oh so precious. Now, did I fully comprehend the undertaking of the trip? I think so. No doubt, it was arduous. And, the kids all had their moments. Birdie did decent although she really got antsy-pants screamy in the car seat both ways. EM traveled well considering she had to be quiet when the babes were trying to or actually were sleeping and still have fun. BK got carsick on the way up and for that we all felt lousy... for her, I mean.

All of that said, I'm so thrilled we went and were the first visitors since Oma and Opa re-established their home there. Opa's spirit was soaring since he wasn't sure he'd ever return to his beloved cabin since the last time he was there was a few days before his big cancer surgery. Oma was delighted because, she's an Oma and loves her kidlets. She taught EM to bake yummy strudel and sang to the babies... or was that to us? We played games and Opa got crazy telling stories about he and Oma's love-life. For real. Seriously, when do you get to feel grown-up more than when your grandparents divulge their love details? We all peed ourselves laughing over the classic Opa-Oma conversations about their 55 years together.

So, going to the lake was crazy yet fun. Like everything else for me right now, I'm enjoying every moment. Hey, did I mention that she's locomoting now? Yep, she's crawling this week - the flat is one happy disaster. Birdie's mini-tantrums are even endearing to me somehow. I know it's because I'm aware that I'll miss stuff and miss her and miss my 'freedom'.

Comments:
Work already?! How exciting! Best of luck to you E! You will be in my thoughts Monday morning! :)

-J
 
Thanks for the great read on my parents, your Oma and Opa. It touched me deeply to see how they have impacted your life.
I am also thrilled for your new atage in life that you are about to begin... a new job, a new position. May it be everything you are hoping it will be.
I also loved your discription of how your life will change in regards to clothes and your personal appearance... got a chuckle out of that!
Have a great new beginning this coming Monday.
Love ya!
Oma E
 
J,

Yep, it is here... work. Thanks for the thoughts and the love.

- E
 
Mom,

I know now that when I'm at the lake with them, I learn about them on a different level than anywhere else. They are most comfortable and themselves there.

Yes, the next stage is exactly that. It will be a lot to digest over the next few weeks, but we're all up for it! Thanks for the love, Mom.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?