Friday, May 02, 2008

 

coming of age


Have I mentioned that I like movies?

A and I often talk about how the teen flicks of our generation had some real depth to them, particularly when compared to the most popular ones over the last decade. I grew up on John Hughes coming of age films and truly lived by them. I believe that those films comforted me at a time in my life that felt nothing less than confusing and frustrating. Even though A watched different flicks during his adolescence than I did, we still come up with similar feelings towards those 80's (and early 90's)flicks that played out teen spirit, struggle and triumph.

I most identify with The Breakfast Club since it encapsulates the five types of teens, extrapolated in Brian's (the Brain) monologue:
40. INT. LIBRARY - DAY
We see Vernon pick up Brian's essay and begin to read.
BRIAN (VO)
Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact
that we had to sacrifice a whole
Saturday in detention for whatever
it was we did wrong. But we think
you're crazy to make an essay
telling you who we think we are.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
CUT TO:
41. EXT. FOOTBALL FIELD - DAY
We see Bender walking towards us as Brian's monologue
continues.
BRIAN (VO)
(CONT'D)
But what we found out is that each
one of us is a brain...
ANDREW (VO)
...and an athlete...
ALLISON (VO)
...and a basket case...
CLAIRE (VO)
...a princess...
BENDER (VO)
...and a criminal...
BRIAN (VO)
Does that answer your question?
Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club.
Getting carried away here...
I think teen films that explore who you are and what your potential is are important. Seriously, who can turn away from a rerun on television of Say Anything? Even silly Ferris Bueller's Day Off provides some insight to parent/teen relationship issues (note scenes involving Cameron's reluctant agreement to use his dad's posh car to venture to the city with Sloan and Ferris).
Until Juno, I percieved the quality teen flicks of my generation were extinct. With such fluff like Bring it On, American Pie, and miscellaneous Linsdey Lohan types etc..., it was hard to believe that teens were identifying with any on screen characters anymore. I'm not just aiming at movie themes or plot-lines, but also the amount of money these teen characters have at their disposal. I think it began with Clueless,which is actually a decent flick, and spiraled downwards from there.
But, Juno is the new teen tone that I have been missing. Watching this flick was so refreshing! The title character, played by Oscar-nominated, Canadian Ellen Page, is fun, raw and a real teenager with a step-parent and a middle-class life. Taking this film in is delightful. I thought with all the hubbub surrounding the film that I would see it and be dissappointed. Nope, it's true blue. This film comes of age with pain and tears and adolescence and disregard for the system and of course, the ongoing desire and search for truth.

Comments:
I totally agree with you. And I absolutely loved JUNO I actually watched it twice in the same week.
 
I've had Juno sitting on my DVD player now for well over a month and have yet to watch it. This weekend will be the time, I can feel it! By the way, Sixteen Candles is probably my all time fav teen flick. Completely identified with Molly's character. Oh to be in high school again *sigh*

-J
 
Pris,

Thanks for your comment! It's cool to hear your perspective since we've got a few years between us. Besides enjoying Juno, what other coming of age flicks do you identify with?
 
J,

When you watch it, watch it straight through... no breaks... except when absolutely necessary of course. It's got a great stream of thought flow going on.

Sixteen Candles was my forever fave flick until Breakfast Club. You're so right about identifying with Molly (Sam) on that one. Being gaga for the hottest guy in school and then him finding out by a sex quiz believably intercepted by him in class cause her friend was snoozing. Aaah! Then, the parents not remembering a crazy important birthday like 16... gag me. Besides relating completely to Molly (my favourite real scene is Farmer Ted: the Geek dancing all over her and her leaving crying in the hall by the lockers - so totally what I would have done), the Geek is so nutty and endearing, somehow.

Whenever I watch it I think, no matter what, there's always someone worse off than me, right? Like Long Duck Dong or Joan Cusack with the neck brace.
 
Seriously, this post was almost like food for me. I appreciate your appreciation for the breakfast club and your willingness to fill our computer screens with a piece of it's script more than you know. ;)
I dared not get my hopes up with Juno too, and keep saying 'neh' when Steep offers to rent it. But after reading this I am given no choice. I am sending hubby to the movie store, right now.
P.S. are you secretly supposed to be a famous movie critic?
 
I didn't realize that the same man was behind all those fantastic 80's films! Pretty in Pink, 16 Candles, Breakfast Club....I have watched them all many times and will watch them all again many times.......But I have to say that Some Kind of Wonderful was one of my fav's, a drummer chick gettin the guy and the earings! WooHoo! I always wanted to be a drummer........

Anyway, JUNO was a fantastic film! I especially loved all the teenage lingo. Why is it when we get old and try and use that lingo we are VERY uncool? JUNO was totally rad dude!(see it sounds stupid from a 30 year old mom....and yes I realize that's lingo from when I was a teen)
 
Ang!
Thanks for hangin'.
Yep, those John Hughes' script dialogues are just brilliant. Like, seriously, who else could write lines like "Do I stutter?" (Bender in BC) or "When you mess with the bull, you get the horns?" (the Principal in BC - Vernon).

Let me know what you think of Juno.
 
Deedee... Some Kind of Wonderful! That's when Eric Stolz really made an impression on me. Seriously, how many times did we rewind the intro when Watts (Mary Stuart Masterson) is playing the drums. Love how that intro tells the whole story of a boy who knows how to work hard with his hands and lives... on the wrong side of the tracks. That story ruled and oh, yeah, those earrings. Watts: "I wanted these (with tears...)." Totally rad.
 
Oh my Blog! It was cuter than cute. I fell in love with the main characters like the out-to-lunch but so brilliant boyfriend but my fave was the step-mom. And the movie wouldn't have been quite the same without the scenes when all I could look at were the horrid yellow shorts.
Thanks again!
 
Wizard!
 
How did I never leave a comment on this genius post? If nothing else I should have thanked you for the Juno recommendation -- we loooved it. And I got Breakfast Club from the library just after they started carrying feature films a few months ago -- still so awesome.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?