Sunday, March 16, 2008

 

work

My parents gave me this stellar photography book for Christmas last year. I finally had the quiet and a cup of coffee to sit down and take it in, page by page, this month. This book is a wonderful collection of National Geographic photos that really get your mind swirling with questions and insights about how work is done in our world.

One photo was of a wee baby girl, naked and dirty, lying in a busy city street with a hat beside her for money. I was so moved (and horrified) by it that I had to close the book and returned to it a full week later. I figure the reality of that photograph of a baby, the same age as mine, working was just too close to home. Wow - I/we are so rich.

Other photos were not necessarily so poignant. Some are funny, others are informative, while yet others are relatable. Nevertheless, the viewing is brilliant and I highly recommend it.

Comments:
Feel free to pass it onto me when you're done! .......and any other good books you might have.......

I realize that there is a library just down the street but somehow the selections you make for me are always a hit!
 
Looks like a great recommendation...ordered from the library...thanks!
 
D,
You're funny. Do you even have a library card? Haha. I will bring you something at Easter.

----
Jer,
I'd love to hear what you think of it. Don't think those pictures were taken with digital cameras :).
 
YES I HAVE A LIBRARY CARD.............I got it just a couple of months ago.......
 
Wow, it is amazing. I devoured the entire thing in one sitting (granted, mostly pictures, but still) the night I got it from the library. So intense and moving. Not much joy on display in the world of work, unfortunately...or maybe my current attitude toward work tainted my interpretation of the photos.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?