Sunday, February 24, 2008

 

jury duty


We've all seen the movies about criminal court cases and wondered is this how justice is exercised? Typical of most Hollywood movies in this genre, a jury selection is involved. This sort of scene typically shows that both the Crown and the defence want different jurors for very specific and opposing reasons.
Guess I'm going to find out how accurate or far from the truth these movies are... because I got my jury duty notice! While going through my mail, I looked suspiciously at the envelope from the Sherriff's office thinking, "What did I do?" When I opened the envelope and read the content, I loudly announced to A that I've been served my jury duty notice! He looked at me and realized immediately that I'm pretty excited about it.
Seriously, I am so interested to witness first-hand the court justice process in Canada. I am required to show up for jury duty in April for a criminal court case. Now that I've received my notice, I feel as though I'm a real citizen; that it's my turn to perform my civic responsibility.
You'll hear no groaning from me - I'm going to court!
Movies that I like about the law that show court scenes in order of most loved: To Kill a Mockingbird, Miracle on 34th Street, ALL Perry Mason episodes (TV), The Verdict, 12 Angry Men, Suspect and A Time to Kill.
PS: I liked the stamp above for the graphic, apologies that it's not Canadian. Boo.

Comments:
A post at 6:49am....wow!

This may surprise you but if I was selected I too would be excited. A VERY nervous excited, but excited. I am very interested to hear about the process. Everything that you are allowed to say, I want to hear it!

On another note....I have been checking in faithfully the last couple of days for a list of your Oscar picks. What is going on here?

Enjoy the awards tonight. I will not call to say congrats on being selected for Jury Duty as I do not want to interupt all your awards day plans! Hee Hee!
 
Wow! That's crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up taking the lead at some point with all your negotiating skills. Happy learning!
 
D,

649 post because Birdie woke up at 525 and went back to bed by 630 but I couldn't. Grr.

Yes, I didn't get to the films this year and thus no pre-Oscar pick post. Frustrating, actually. I didn't feel I had enough of a legitimate opinion, as a result. Boring mom admission.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?