Monday, January 21, 2008

 

once

Haven't posted about a film for a long, long time. By the way, I really love cinema. For those of you out there that wonder who I am besides a new mom, I love films. In fact, I proudly know names and films of both famous and lesser-known stars from all Hollywood eras. Seriously, my poor sister never knew what hit her when she purchased a Movie trivia game for Christmas one year. I think I ended up without a team-mate and still won by far. I don't recall exactly, but there was certainly a tone of "Don't ever play that game with tfox again!" in the air. It was a bit tense.

Anyway, being a new mom and being a film fan are a tad difficult to reconcile. I've learned to watch a movie in bits and pieces. Reluctantly so, I must admit. Nevertheless, I refuse to not watch movies that pique my interest despite my environment - with the exception of new releases in the theatre of course. An actual movie experience is just waaaay to abstract for me still - 2 hours plus travel and parking? Eep, that might be a while.

I heard great things about this film. Once. I've always been a fan of musicals (thanks, Mom) and figured whatever the content, with the rave reviews, it was worth a viewing. We rented it the other night and I must say I was in the entire time. The Irish film is solid for several reasons: the characters are poor and live that way (I hate that Friends live in Manhattan on jobs like a waitress, an unemployed chef and an unknown actor - it is simply ludicrous!), the music is brilliant and doesn't tell what's happening presently rather the entire backstory of the Guy (refreshing angle), the Girl is enchanting and authentic and so someone I'd love to hang out with (basically, not a tart!), Guy and Girl perform their own music and as a result the film is raw and brilliant, and the emotions of the film are true to life. The film quality is not all that. The music is raw, yet not polished. The story is simple. Once is a lovely experience of film storytelling which I had been craving but didn't even know it.

This song has been in my head ever since my Saturday viewing and I hope it's doesn't get out anytime soon.

*Update: As of today, the song "Falling Slowly" from Once has been nominated for Best Original Song at the Oscars. Yes!


Comments:
A movie! You watched a WHOLE movie? Nice.
 
We may have to try that game again ............but maybe change some rules to make it fair for the others!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?