Thursday, November 15, 2007

 

waddle on

Throughout my pregnancy, I received my monthly subscription to Runner's World magazine. I stored them away since I made a decision not to run through this pregnancy and instead focused on yoga and walking. I've begun to dig into that pile of mags since I'm starting fresh on the running thing.

One columnist that I read and enjoy in every issue is John "The Penguin" Bingham. He writes from the perspective that for a runner, it's more important to run than anything else. Race results, gear and other things are not what matter. The November issue was exactly what I needed since I resumed my running post-partum. He included an article titled "I am not a jogger" in which he lists the reasons why he runs. I could relate to several of these points. Briefly, and to quote:

I am a runner because I know what effort feels like, and I embrace it. I know when I'm pushing the olimits of my comfort and why I'm doing it. I know that heavy breathing and an accelerated heart rate - things I once avoided - are necessary if I want to be a better runner.

I am a runner because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far.

There are several other points, many of which I relate to. I like the simplicity of the Penguin's running mantra.

I can think of an unmentioned reason that I run, which is that it requires little to no gear. Sure, there's something to be said for having skookum shoes and techy tops. That said, it's still just clothing. If I want to run, I don't need anything except sneaks. Come to think of it, the runs I'm doing lately involve the clothes that used to be too big on me that fit nicely right now (insert mild 'grrr' here).

Thanks for the support, Mr. Penguin. And yes, I will 'waddle on'.

Comments:
You are SO not waddling! At least not anymore if you ever were. Now I can't get the image of you doing a penguin walk down the street in your running gear out of my head!
 
Well, thanks, Tan. More often than not, I am waddling though - it's just that you don't see me do it. Haha
 
Hey, whatever it takes to get back into it. I'm enjoying the full coverage clothing of winter workouts right now. Kind of a soft landing back into the fit world.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?