Wednesday, November 07, 2007

 

Soul

It was just a year ago that Birdie was conceived. It's hard to believe that she was just beginning, especially since she's here and is a massive (despite her wee-ness) part of our lives. I know, I know, that's what everyone says when they've had a baby..., "You just can't imagine life without her, right?" Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Maybe because I remember sleeping as long as I wanted, going out whenever I wanted and exercising whenever I wanted and... I could go on.

Ah, I'm not complaining, just being real.

Recently, we ventured to Tofino. I would suggest it was our first family vacation. Our trip to the prairies early on in Birdie's life was to visit with family and friends not to get away. The Tofino outing was delightful, particularly since we had (*gulp* in embarrassment) never stayed on the westernmost edge of our beautiful province before. We lodged at a wonderful spot called Ocean Village Beach Resort and met up with old friends there.


Tofino is undoubtedly a spiritual place; A put it well, "Being here is good for my soul". The setting facilitated personal reflection and an appreciation of life. Being there with A and Birdie, along with our friends, reminded me what a rich life I have. Birdie didn't love the ocean wind in her face, but she did like the cozy naps in the sling under my jacket or A's hoodie; which, truthfully, we loved too. The food tasted extra good and the bed was extra comfortable.


On both nights we were in Tofino, the moon was full and the weather was absolutely clear. As a result, I might have to say that my favourite part of the trip was when Birdie was chirping for milk in the middle of the night. Huh - you say? I fed her, watching the white waves crash in on the shore from the couch, absolutely bright, crisp and clear. The scene was glorious. On once occasion in the middle of the night, I fed her, put her to sleep and then snuck out for more of the dreamy ocean experience. No need for flashlights to drink in this scene - just me, the ocean and the moon. Thanks, Birdie.

Sure, it's not easy doing a vacation with a new baby, but it's not hard either.

Comments:
That moon was unreal. I can relate - I didn't even mind my early morning wakeup with Ezra to watch the moon set over the water. It helped that it was immediately followed by that hot fresh coffee and homemade muffin in your digs. Thanks for the good times.
 
Nest time on your way to Tofino be sure to stop in at Cobble Hill for a free meal, good wine and good company, you A and babe.
lv
johnk
 
Oh Tofino! 'Twas a pleasure to read this entry and let my mind wander to past visits. I remember taking Eden in the winter when she was six months old, showing her the birds flitting across the beach through the early morning fog. What a magical place!
 
Tan,

Our time there together was extra dreamy with that moon and the babies. Next year, same time, same spot?
 
Kamper,

We discussed that, believe me! We had a full itinerary with meeting friends in Tofino as well as hooking up with old friends in Qualicum Beach. Next time, it's Cobble Hill's turn - we'd love to stop in and not hurry away either.
 
B,

Thanks for posting! I know you and Ken have mentioned many a time that we should go to Tofino. I get it now, why you are such a fan. When's the last time you went?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?