Sunday, July 29, 2007

 

TDF

What a blast it was to watch le Tour roll into Paris. Having been there so recently, I felt very enamoured with the entire scene.

This feeling, a fresh one, since the tour has got me yo-yo-ing pretty good this year. I know I posted a few weeks ago about my enthusiasm for the Tour and the progress of Canchellara in the first week. Mid-tour, I got pretty down about the whole event because of Vinokourov. The Kazahk rider, who I had heartily believed was all heart, all man, all determination proved to be blood-doping. Shame on you, Vino. As a result of Vino's doping, his whole team was pulled from the race in disgrace. Seriously, man, Bobke called you Vinoshtompenzie... how can you be so cruel?

I didn't watch the stage the next day. I felt completely down about the whole thing. Of course, I felt I needed to hear from Liggett and Roll before totally shutting the TDF off. I'm really glad I did. Versus' didn't prohibit their commentators from laying down the law and reinforcing that cheaters will not be tolerated and that cycling must go on.

Shortly after that, Rasmussen was pulled, while in the maillot jeune! WTF! He failed to report his whereabouts during training, which is required by the professional cycling association, and when he finally did report about his training location, he said he was in Mexico. Nope, turns out he was in Italy. Liar!

Liggett again, unguarded and convincingly said "May he never ride again". I was astounded by the authentic comments made by each commentator, three of which are prior le Tour riders. These commentators, who should feel the most betrayed by the news after commentating on how brilliant, brave and astounding these very riders had ridden, plowed on even more in love with the sport. I had to concede that I too would love the race, this after contemplating a complete abandon of supporting the event.

So, I love that Contador won. I love that Evans was second (only 23 seconds behind Contador). I love that Leipheimer (a mere 31 seconds behind Contador) won third position and Stage 18. I love that Popo is such a workhorse. I love that Solar gangled his way to the King of the Mountains. I love that crashes don't always mean defeat (Casar on Stage 18 hit a wandering dog, crashed hard, and still won the stage in the breakaway). I love those riders that 'dug deep into the suitcase of courage' to do the race clean and true (Liggettism).

All of that said, I thought I'd finish le Tour with babe in arms. Oh well, vive le Tour!

Comments:
I basically didn't follow a word of that (I'm a tour ignoramus) but yay for distractions anyway! And how fun to see Paris in it's glory after such a recent trip.
 
I fear I may have trivialized the tour by calling it a mere "distraction". I was thinking more along the lines of "thank goodness for interests other than baby waiting".
 
No worries, Tan. You're absolutely right, 2-3 hours a day consumed with 150+ riders grinding it out in France was a fantastic distraction from counting down the babe's arrival.

Paris was delightful and dreamy to see again. I think I'm more in love with that city the longer I am away from it. It's exactly the opposite from NYC - there I fell in love at first sight and got more and more wrecked as each day passed.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?