Saturday, April 28, 2007

 

Paris moments Part 1


Ah, le Arc de Triomphe. A rare moment in which no cars obstruct the view of this grand site. Eleven bustling rues (roads) meet le Arc intersection in the roundabout, making for a crazy beautiful experience. We got to le Arc from an underground pathway. We saw a few tourists attempt to cross from le Arc to the other side and gasped audibly when each one of their lives' flashed before the entire crowd.

A beautiful Paris cafe moment - A's cafe and my citron glaces, served with a water, mint leaf and a vanilla wafer. Can 4:00 PM in the afternoon get any better?

Eiffel Tower at dusk. This is a truly magic moment for anyone in Paris. I like the guidebook reference to it as 'the ultimate Iron Maiden'. The Eiffel Tower paired with the ponts (bridges) in Paris equals pure romance.

I've attempted to describe the wonder of le Louvre's pyramid entrance before. I don't know why the pyramid excites me so. I guess the backdrop of le Louvre and the innovation of the pyramid marry the qualities of Paris that endear me to it. At any rate, it puts the entrance of the Taj Mahal to the test and in my opinion, it wins.

A and me among the French sculptures. Talk about happy.

We've talked often about why we visit museums abroad (and for some reason not so much at home). They just make us feel happy. I can make numerous attempts to try and understand why one artists' work just looks ridiculous at one moment and violating the next but in the end, allowing the art to simply wash over me leaves me very content. There are very few pieces I can remember, but those days - like at le Louvre - are just really really good.

Comments:
Yay, pictures! Rivals the Taj Mahal, eh? I would never have guessed but each experience is so subjective and I've never been to either place.

It all looks divine, thanks for sharing the wonderful moments.
 
Well, let me be clear... the entrance to le Louvre rivals the entrance to the Taj. Nothing rivals the Taj Mahal :)

You're right though that each experience is subjective. What moves me and what moves A is always different... and we're both looking at it at the same moment.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?