Tuesday, February 13, 2007

 
Having completed a two+ month push to get a grip of my workload, finish a final paper, complete a final exam, and somewhere within all of that see A and retain a piece of personal fitness, I'm delighted to announce that I've turned a corner. Last week marked the beginning of my new-kind of sanity. I am so pleased at the outcome of the work I completed - both career-wise and in my ongoing studies. In retrospect, I wonder whether the insanity of the workload was in any way rational. It certainly wasn't sustainable.

I think about folks I know or those who are famous that I admire. I wonder about their long-term life manageability. How long have these people sustained a lifestyle of an insane workload - whether it be in the pursuit of personal dreams and goals or campaigning for socioeconomic change or living a dynamic (aka 'busy') life built on their values and purpose. Keeping that in mind, is it only possible for one to be 'great' for a brief period in his/her life?

The workload that I was dealing with wasn't touching on greatness, it was about a momentary contribution to facets of my life - at work and in education - that I beleive are important. What then is involved, if not required, to be great just for a moment? Oh Bono, where are thou?

Comments:
Congrats, E. Very cool that you've completed your push and feel so good about the results -- fantastic! Smart to think of these things in terms of sustainability, I think, and to acknowledge that it wasn't...and that you did have it in you to push it for a while.
 
Ooh, I'm getting flashbacks to my main "busy time" in my life. Finishing that degree while pregnant/with baby. I felt like superwoman at the time although I was dimly aware of what it was sucking out of me. When it was over I walked around stunned for a few weeks while it sunk in. I'm proud of it and glad I made the push but wouldn't choose it if there had been another way to accomplish what I wanted.

Good job on seeing that stuff through! Feels sweet now, doesn't it? Revel in the new body and free time, it's great for your health and sanity. I'm sure there will be another push but it can wait, eh?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?