Sunday, November 05, 2006

 
Ever run into a wall that you knew was there? A few years back, I ran into a wall, which I saw in the distance I was quickly approaching. Each day, the wall got closer and I thought, "There's that wall, I've got to stop and turn a corner." Finally, I hit the wall *smack*, got up and kept walking, like on the spot, in an attempt to climb the darn thing.

Yeah, I'm working a lot these days. That wall is my work. My tendency is to push the wall further away so that it takes longer to hit it. But, I always know I'm going to hit it.

For the first eight months of my current career, I felt I had a very solid work-life balancing act. In all honesty, I was so proud and confident that the concept of work-life unbalance amused me. I had this attitude that I could never be willingly squashed again by work. This was my post-India, pre-student, gleefully unemployed stage in life. *SIGH*

Nevertheless, I may have hit the wall. Again. I've been running quickly and feverishly towards it, actually. I don't quite know what to make of it all. Have I really lost focus of my desire to remain balanced with life and work? It's an interesting difficulty to have since I love the work I'm doing. Furthermore, I'm happy in my whole life. And, what was wanting the last time I hit the wall I fixed. To be clear, the last time I hit the wall I was lacking the clarity of personal interests and personal development. This time around, I don't have that additional frustration of craving self-discovery.

Having said all that (hopefully not-too-narcissistic) jazz, here is the real question:

Does loving what work you do trump doing other things you love? I struggle with this, since historically I was craving a conviction to what I did for work. Now I've found that and I'm at the wall, working like there is not enough time in the day to accomplish what I believe is essential.

Admittedly, I have obvious flaws in asking this question. I'm not running enough (running regularly, but not furiously as I prefer). I'm eating without a rhythm. I'm not seeing my friends nearly enough. I'm sacrificing A time. I'm sleeping restlessly. I'm studying well, but not quickly or efficiently enough. I'm off-kilter and without a clue.

In an exploration of the entire exercise... likely tbc (to be continued).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?