Monday, October 16, 2006

 

I'm a newly-minted David Bowie fan. I cannot believe how much I am in love with Bowie after never knowing or loving him before my thirty-second birthday. His musical innovation is remarkable. His voice is like that of a chameleon. Bowie creates in response to culture while directing culture onto an unfamiliar, more relevant path.

My most favourite new tune, which I've listened to incessantly over the past three weeks, is called "Heroes". The song is a legend, covered by many other artists but never really captured in the same way as it was first introduced. I find myself delighted by every component of the under-four minute recording. "Heroes" ignites my soul with romance and fanciful escapes while it fuels a spirit of freedom under what is depicted as grueling circumstances.

I wonder what kind of person would I have become had I heard "Heroes" when it was released in 1977? I really think it stirs a theme or element within me that has not yet been explored. Would I have become a different person? Seriously, the music moves me that deeply.

Bowie-adoring, wondering when I'll overdose on him.
Decidedly never.

Comments:
Ok, given your newly minted status as Bowie superfan, help a guy out -- where in the Bowie canon should a newbie start? Where's the accessible gateway drug for someone who hasn't really "got it" yet? I was going to ask you on the weekend, but forgot.
 
You know, I got to say, as a new Bowie fan, I can't tell you where to begin. A purchased the "Best of Bowie" CD for me and that's where my story with Bowie began. I'm now in the zone of which Bowie to commit to - besides ALL of it. I'm in love with the early 80's stuff, but that's not all that surprising now is it?

My suggestion is to jump in and wherever that may be, it'll either take or it won't.
 
I've begun the exploration, listening to the random dozen songs I collected online.

My overwhelming initial impression is that many recent indie bands have TOTALLY ripped off his sound.

The one that comes to mind first is Wolf Parade, a band I really like, but the singer has definitely studied Bowie's vocal style and copied it. Sincerest form of flattery? Lots of others have obviously been influenced as well, although they themselves might not always realize it (secondary influences).

But anyway, some very cool stuff going on there. Can't believe a song like "Andy Warhol" was recorded before we were born. It's aged so much better than most of the terrible rock from the '80s.
 
I experienced the same thing when I finally weaned myself off of "Best of Bowie" (for minutes at a time, mind you) and listened to other artists. In fact, a friend of mine had just purchased the dual-disc "best of Simple Minds". Many of the oh-so-familiar tunes (nostalgia dating back to pre-teen rollerskating moments) on that Simple Minds collection were Bowie. And then U2. And then New Order. But, above all the others, they were Bowie-loving.

The new Beck has some Bowie-love as well. Could Beck be the bastard son of Bowie? Worth some consideration, I imagine.
Regardless, enjoy the journey and get lost in Ziggyland, I'm nowhere near leaving.
 
Yes! I was listening to Mutations this morning and Beck is totally channeling "Starman".

The more recent "I'm Afraid of Americans" single combining Bowie and Nine Inch Nails is intense and catchy. Pretty ambitious tune, but it works -- the last two minutes are pure, dark genius.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?