Sunday, October 29, 2006

 
Being inside West Edmonton mall for more than a day is nothing less than overwhelming. I'll attempt to explain the consumer-killer culture of it. Okay, let me clarify, I was there for work, at the oh-so-aptly-named Fantasyland Hotel, and not for a vacation. I was checked in for four days and three nights and it was nothing short of inundating.

The manufactured feeling of joy cannot be compared. As a point of interest, the last time I was there was the summer between grade 8 and grade 9. It was exhilarating then. It was not all that this time around. I must admit the waterpark appears to have held up since it looked quite attractive. I didn't shimmy down any slides, but it did look appealing.

Since I stayed at the WestEd hotel, I had the unique opportunity to walk the mall halls without anything being open. Wandering (to walk off a well-deserved buzz), I purused the darkened windows. Shopping closed store windows is not very alluring. If anything, the fade and the quiet of those moments gives cause to contemplate the banal consumer attraction of a mall. The mall of all malls, a strange altar of a what it means to be a wealthy nation to the world, turned out to be remarkably poignant. A structure, built by man, to allure man to spend money and benefit another man.

Fantasyland? Absolutely.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?